For "C64Month" (August on twitter) 2020 I decided to try to make a SNES MODE7 engine for the old commodore.
For some reason I actually started off believing I could potentially pull it off in bitmap mode.
After spending way too long on that I ended up aiming for something a bit more realistic.

Using 4x4 pixels FLI mode I get the benefit of being able to use all 16 colours anywhere and both faster and less plotting than in bitmap mode..
Not quite as impressive as bitmap mode, but ok I guess...

A bit after the end of August I had it up and running. It's a bit choppy, but I think that with a bit more work and a "progressive picture updater" might get it fast enough to be playable.. But that will have to be for C64Month some other year ;-)